Thursday 30 June 2011

Chapter 8

Preston awoke from the bright sun. He blinked as his eyes adjusted to the light and looked around.
"What the he-" His sight adjusted and he squinted his eyes. He was in the middle of the forest. "What happened?" The sun was shining through the tree canopy and birds were chirping. He looked down at himself and saw his jeans were torn as well as his shirt. He wasn't even wearing shoes.
Preston stood up and almost fell over. He felt lightheaded. He steadied himself on a nearby tree, when he leaned on the trunk it shuddered with the effort.
He rubbed his eyes and groaned. What is going on?
~~~~~~~~~
Preston arrived at his house. His dad was at work again and not home. How long does he work for? He made his way upstairs and was startled when he entered his room.
His blankets were pulled off and their was long claw marks running along his sheets. His mattress was torn. What surprised him most was the clawed up wall under his window. The old ones seemed weaker than the newer ones. He had wiped the blood from the previous marks, the new claw marks had blood between the scratches. From me?"No. No, this is not from me. The wolf. It jumped into my room. It tore up my bed. It wasn't me." Preston muttered, trying to convince himself although how hard he tried he couldn't fully convince that the marks weren't caused by him.
"I-I need help, I'm going crazy." Preston tried to prove to himself. "I drank to much, I had to much pain pills. I-I," He let out a sigh. "I'm a monster."
Preston made his way downstairs and out the door. He got in his truck and drove for what seemed like an hour. He pulled into the dusty driveway up to the once beautiful house. He looked up and saw Lucas peering through one of the broken windows.
"Lucas! Annalee! I know you can hear me! Get out here now!" Preston yowled as he slammed his truck door.
"I knew he'd be back," Annalee said as she stepped outside, Lucas following her.
"Of course he'd be back. How else would he survive the next full moon?" Lucas snapped.
Annalee rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Preston. "Have a fun night?" She teased.
"Annalee, you know he doesn't remember. Do you remember your first full moon?" Lucas pressed.
"No," she sighed. "I guess I'll stop teasing you. But don't ever, ever think you can win my affection, Hale." Annalee narrowed her eyes and Preston reluctantly agreed.
"Now. What you were saying yesterday. About me being... a werewolf. You weren't kidding, were you?" Preston asked cautiously.
"No, we weren't." Annalee told him, her eyes serious.
Preston let out a long sigh. "Well, what do I do?"
"Well, first off you can tell me what you found this morning once you got back to your house," Lucas said.
"How did you know I was ou-" Preston was saying when Annalee cut him off.
"Remember, we were in your situation once before."
"Right. Well, there was claw marks on my bed, and on my window, probably from me," Preston said.
Lucas stood up. "Was your dad home?"
"No, he's been out investigating the wolf attack..." Preston drifted off, a thought coming to him.
"Was it you guys who were killing those innocent people?" Rage was growing deep within.
"No, it was Tyran," Annalee frowned.
"Who bit me than? Who cursed me with this?" Preston demanded, his anger showing in his eyes.
"Tyran. Preston you need to calm down," Lucas said and stepped back. "Annalee come back. If he phases he'll attack."
"We can handle him," Annalee said.
Preston was breathing heavy. His eyes slits, he was angry. He never wanted to be a werewolf. He never agreed, to become what he is. "Where can I find Tyran?" Preston snapped.
"I-I don't know, he doesn't stay in one place for long." Annalee listened and stepped back. Her brother moving in front of her. Knowing what was about to happen.
"Where?" Preston growled, his eyes changing to an amber-yellow and he yowled as a series of pain shot through his veins, racing throughout his body.
Preston clenched his teeth and closed his eyes. Soon he felt himself change.
Preston opened his eyes to see that he was on all fours and his vision became black and white, like a dogs. When he spotted Annalee and Lucas he snarled and felt his lip curl.
Annalee looked at the brown wolf, unafraid.
Lucas pushed Annalee behind him and growled. "You going to attack me, Preston?"
Instead of leaping at the Lucas, Preston whipped around and disappeared into the forest. He had another prey in mind.
~~~~~~~
Preston searched the forest desperately. His sense clear and taking in every scent in the forest. Soon he smelled a familiar scent. He skidded to a halt and followed the scent. When he spotted who the smell came from he froze. There was his dad with a hunting rifle, three other officers, and two German Shepperd's.
The German Shepperd's, knowing he was watching barked and yipped with fear and excitement.
"This way!" Mr Hale ran towards Preston's hiding place. The dogs barking with enthusiasm. The two other officers followed close behind, each held a loaded shotgun.
Preston growled, turned around and whipped through the forest like a bullet. After running for a short while he halted and stood in a clearing for awhile. Something didn't seem right.
Boom!A bullet when flying towards Preston and hit him in his shoulder. He howled in pain.
"Got it!" Mr Hale yowled with glee.
"But it's still alive!" One of the officers hissed as he aimed his shotgun at Preston but the brown wolf was already springing into the forest, deeper in the woods.
Ow!
When he reached his house he phased back into a boy. Preston scrambled up his stairs and collapsed onto his bed. Blood welled stained his shoulder and he looked to see the bullet deep in his skin.
"Damn it," Preston hissed.
Suddenly he fainted, the pain of phasing and the bullet becoming too much for him. Preston yelled in his mind. He had gotten away but it wouldn't long before the officers came after him. He raced out of the forest and towards his house. He would be safe there.

4 comments: